Important Questions

What education do I need to have to enter the University?

To apply for a Bachelor's degree (Medical Specialist), you need to have a complete general secondary education.

The University also admits persons with the education and qualification level of Junior Specialist to the first year (with a reduced period of study) or second (third) year (to vacant places, with a standard period of study) to a certain number of places to obtain a Bachelor's degree (education and qualification level of Medical Specialist), subject to admission to a related field of study.

What documents are required for admission?

When submitting an application in paper form, applicants provide the following documents:

  • a copy of an identity and citizenship document;
  • a copy of a military registration document — for conscripts (except for cases provided by law);
  • a copy of a state standard document on the previously obtained education (education and qualification) level, which is the basis for admission, and a copy of its appendix;
  • a copy of a certificate (certificates) of External Independent Evaluation (for applicants with complete general secondary education and education and qualification level of Junior Specialist);
  • four 3×4 cm color photos.

A paper application must include the applicant's consent to personal data processing.

The applicant submits other copies of documents if required by special conditions of admission to relevant competitive offers established by law, within the time limits specified for accepting documents.
When participating in the competition, the applicant submits the originals of documents only once (fulfillment of enrollment requirements).

Are last year's certificates valid?

Applicants can submit External Independent Evaluation certificates of 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020, except grades in English, French, German, and Spanish. If a foreign language is a competitive subject, the applicant can submit a grade from 2018-2020 certificates in one of the foreign languages (English, German, French, or Spanish) at their discretion.

What is “exam” and “test”? Who administers tests and exams?

A test is a form of summative assessment which measures the student's knowledge of educational material based on the performance of certain types of tasks during seminars, practical or laboratory classes, and individual tasks. If a subject curriculum does not include the above forms of instruction, students are evaluated based on the results of a test assignment. A semester test usually takes place when there is no exam and it does not require students’ presence. Certain subjects may have a test and exam in one semester.

The number of tests in each semester should not exceed six (except for practical tests). A test in a particular subject is conducted after its completion, before examinations.

An exam is a form of summative assessment which measures the student's knowledge of theoretical and practical material in a particular academic subject for a semester.

Semester exams are taken during exam sessions. The number of exams in each semester should not exceed five.

Students are given two-four days to prepare for each exam (depending on the number of study hours of the subject per semester). Before each exam, a consultation meeting is held.

Exams and tests are administered by lecturers who taught the subject. Faculty members who taught other types of classes on the subject to a study group can take part in exams and tests. If certain sections of the subject were taught by several instructors, an exam (test) may be conducted with their participation, and a single overall grade may be given.

For what reasons can a student be expelled?

Students can be expelled from the University for the following reasons:

  • on their own initiative;
  • non-fulfillment of curriculum;
  • breach of contract;
  • other cases provided by the current legislation.
  • students are expelled by order of the University President, at the request of a dean (director of the institute). 

Is dormitory accommodation provided for non-resident students?

The campus of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University has eight dormitories accommodating more than 5,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Information on dormitory accommodation and vacant places can be received from the Associate Dean for Character Building of the School the applicant was enrolled in. It is Associate Dean who provides a certificate stating that the person is a University student and is entitled for dormitory accommodation.

What are the bodies of student self-government?

Student self-government is implemented at the level of a student group, basic, main and other structural subdivisions of the University, as well as the campus, dormitory, block (floor) of the dormitory.

The University student self-government combines the activities of the following bodies: the Student Council and the Campus Student Council.

At all levels, the bodies of student self-government are elected.

Is there a canteen at the University?

The University has an extensive network of food outlets with affordable and delicious food. From simple buffets working in all buildings, where you can have a quick snack, to cozy cafes Bunker; Siome Nebo; Feel Good, FL-P Malyshev, where you can enjoy a full lunch in a good atmosphere.

All the canteens are constantly inspected by the sanitary station, administration and the Student Trade Union for compliance with pricing, quality of service and sanitary standards.

How can students spend their leisure time?

Karazin University is located in the city center. Therefore, after classes students can visit various cultural institutions and places for recreation, in particular: Art of Slobozhanshchyna Gallery of the Regional Organizational and Methodical Center for Culture and Art; Taras Shevchenko Garden; Ukraina Cinema and Concert Hall; Mykola Lysenko Kharkiv National Academic Opera and Ballet Theater; Nemo Dolphinarium; AVEC Art Gallery; Kharkiv State Zoological Park; Kharkiv Private Museum of City Estate; Kharkiv Regional Philharmonic; Taras Shevchenko Kharkiv Academic Ukrainian Drama Theater; O. S. Pushkin Kharkiv State Academic Russian Drama Theater; Municipal Gallery; Kharkiv Art Museum; Kharkiv Planetarium.

Students can spend their summer vacation in the Fihurovka Sports and Health Camp located in a picturesque place of Kharkiv Region, near the Siverskyi Donets. The University Student Trade Union also cooperates with other recreation camps, so students can go to the sea or the Carpathians at a discount of 40%.

Can I get medical care at the University?

Karazin University takes care of its students’ health, so it has the Primary Health Care Center, where students can see a therapist, gynecologist, and dentist. All services are free for students.
Health Care Center opening hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 18:00 (without a break).

Does the University help with employment?

The Center for Practical Training and Employment assists in the University students’ employment. On the Center's website, students can find information about employers who collaborate with the University; a schedule of employment consultations; available job vacancies in the labor market, information on the Job Fair and Career Week.

Contact Information

Phone: +380 (57) 707-50-99



Helpful links