Trade Union Organization of Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctoral Students
A trade union is a voluntary non-profit public organization that unites citizens bound by common interests according to their professional (labor) activity (training). Today, the trade union is a very powerful and important organization that represents and protects labor, social and economic rights and interests of its members.
The Trade Union Organization of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University is the largest public organization in terms of the number of members. In particular, it unites more than 9,000 undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral students and has a clear structure and an extensive network of Schools’ centers. The Trade Union Committee represents the interests of its members in regional and all-Ukrainian associations, actively cooperates with employment centers and a number of departments of Kharkiv Regional State Administration, can directly approach the leadership of the region and the country on protection of social and economic rights.
Any full-time undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral student of the University can become a member of the Trade Union Organization.
The Organization is governed by an elected body — the University Trade Union Committee comprised of representatives of all the Schools, so each of them has relevant representative bodies — trade unions. The Trade Union financial activity and records management are controlled by the Audit Commission of the Primary Trade Union Organization.
The Trade Union deals with issues of social and economic protection, life, leisure, sports, recreation, employment of its members. The best specialists of the Organization provide competent consultations on scholarships, dormitory accommodation, training, rehabilitation, sports and leisure.
The main activities of the Trade Union are:
- support for low-income students;
- encouragement of students’ academic success, active participation in the University’s public life, scientific and sports achievements;
- summer and winter holidays for students, in particular abroad;
- organization of tours to Ukraine’s cultural landmarks;
- provision of discounts for students’ recreation at the Fihurovka Sports and Health Camp, recreation camps on the sea coast and in the Carpathians;
- distribution of tickets to theaters and entertainment venues;
assistance in getting housing subsidies;
- provision of discount fares in the city underground;
- registration of the International Student Identity Card ISIC and IYTC;
- accident insurance;
- organization of youth labor teams;
- public control of food quality;
- implementation of international student exchange and internship programs;
- annual Student Trade Union Cups in volleyball, basketball, table tennis and badminton;
- Spartakiad among the residents of the campus dormitories and the Best Student Room Contest;
- art, cultural and educational events (contests “Miss University”, “Alma Mater”, concerts, performances, Days of Schools, etc.);
- free legal advice on protection of the Trade Union members’ rights and interests, etc.
All areas of the Trade Union activity are implemented by the committees — on Revision; Social, Economic and Housing Issues; Sports and Recreation; Organizational and Cultural Work; Employment, etc.
The Trade Union closely cooperates with the University Student Council, the Student Research Society of Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Doctoral Students and Young Scientists, and the Campus Student Council.
The interaction between the University administration and the Trade Union Organization of Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctoral Students is based on the Laws of Ukraine “On Trade Unions, Their Rights and Guarantees of Activity”, “On Associations of Citizens”, Ukrainian legislation on education, other regulations of Ukraine, the Sectoral Agreement between the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and the Central Committee of the Trade Union of Education and Science Workers of Ukraine of 2016-2020, the Regional Agreement between the Department of Science and Education of Kharkiv Regional State Administration and Kharkiv Regional Organization of the Trade Union of Education and Science Workers of Ukraine of 2016-2020, and also the Statute of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University.